The Plantations Owners and Condominium Associations
Board Meeting – May 18, 2013
The Lewes Public Library – 9:00 AM
The Plantations Owners Board: Board Members – Elizabeth Wulkan / President, Jim Anderson / Vice President, Sherry Minear / Treasurer, Sal Somma / Secretary, Bob Dickey / Director.
Absent – Bob Dickey
The Plantations Condo Council: Council Members – Elizabeth Wulkan / President, Bob Dickey / Vice-President, Sherry Minear / Treasurer, Sal Somma / Secretary, Jim Anderson / Director.
Absent – Bob Dickey
Owners’ Forum (15 minutes):
No one signed up to speak.
Call to Order – The President, Elizabeth Wulkan, called the meeting to order at 9:00 AM.
Approval of the Minutes of the March 23, 2013 Board/Council Meeting. There was a correction on p. 4 – a typo, “We will received $ 18,400 from Sandie LLC” not $ 118.400. Sal made a motion to accept the minutes as corrected. Jim Anderson seconded the motion. All Board/Council members approved.
Sherry Minear, Treasurer, reported:
Checking and Savings Balances
MT&T Checking: 18,705.27
MT&T Savings: 46,793.69
TOTAL $ 66,498.96
Budget vs. Actual (YTD)
The cash balance is comparable to the previous year; we are slightly ahead on some budget lines. In the Budget vs. Actual report most expenses are progressing along nicely. It must be remembered that some expenses have differences in the time of payments. There are no areas of concern at this time.
Delinquent Account Report and Collections
Some unit owners are delinquent. This is being addressed through letters and then followed up by the attorney, as necessary. When the Sandie LLC lawsuit is finally closed, the $ 18,000 due us will drastically reduce this balance due.
Sal Somma made a motion to accept the Owners’ Association Treasurer’s Report as presented. Elizabeth Wulkan seconded it. All Board members approved.
MT&T Checking: 40,844.06
MT&T Savings: 160,775.89
TOTAL $ 201,619.95
Budget vs. Actual (YTD
Compared to last year, we are ahead in the Budget vs. Actual at this time. The insurance is paid in installments so will even out at end of year. During the summer some particular budget lines become more active, but all will even out at the end of the year.
Delinquent Account Report and Collections
Some unit owners are delinquent. This is being addressed through letters and then followed up by the attorney, as necessary.
Sal Somma made a motion to accept the Condo Association Treasurer’s Report as presented. Elizabeth Wulkan seconded it. All Council members approved.
Property Manager’s Report:
Chris Nichols reported –
Projects – Owners:
- Parking Lot Removal – We are waiting on the final documents to be recorded in Georgetown (the easement), and then the contractor can proceed. When easement is recorded, Chris Nichols will establish a plan for the dumpster location. There was a brief discussion on the planning of the location, involving the waste removal trucking company and community members.
- Parking Lot Grading and Seeding – Again, we are waiting on the final recording of documents in Georgetown.
- Sign Repair / Replacement – This is about 80% done. Some posts have been replaced. Some “Yield” signs are yet to be done.
- Painting of Roadside Posts – This is coming next.
- Mailbox Replacements – The mailboxes have come in. The keys have been given to the postman. Once the new boxes are in, each owner will have to go to the post office in Lewes to pick-up their mail and the new key.
Chris Nichols will be speaking with the postmaster about the post office covering the costs of some additional mailboxes.
Projects – Condo
- Hardy Plank Bids (bldgs 4 & 5) - Bldg 4 is about 75% complete. Bldg 5 work will start on Monday
- Roof Replacement Bids (bldgs 8 & 13) – Bldg 8 will start soon – probably July, the leaks are bad.
- Paving (Middleton Circle) – Jerry’s Paving will do the project and he is presently involved in highway contracts. So, this will probably wait until sometime in July.
- Seal Coat, Stripe and Crack Fill (Carters Grove) – has been accomplished.
- Building Painting (bldgs 4, 5, 13, 19) – Bldgs 13 and 19 are getting hardy plank now. Serious water damage on the side of bldg 19 has been corrected. The painting will start in early June. The painter will work out the order of the bldg painting. Bldg 13 will probably be last.
- Pine Trees by Bldg 16 – Sussex Tree said there are woodborers and the trees were treated. So, we will see how they progress.
- Removal of Leyland Cypress – We will remove the Leyland Cypress in groups of 5. There is a total of 25 trees.
- Removal of Dead Pine at Bldg 15 – has been removed. The pines will continue to be monitored, as many appear to be damaged by salt water.
- Sandie Lawsuit Update – Mr. Hutt and Mr. Campbell are addressing a question on the Easement. As soon as Mr. Campbell responds with his concerns/suggestions, we will respond with the goal of achieving a quick and satisfying resolution to the lawsuit.
- SFH Covenant Violations – We are seeing an increase in the number of violations in the single family homes – trash receptacles left out, trash left in front of garages, vehicles parking on the road, the situation of overgrowth and a large puddle in the yard of one house, …
Chris Nichols will have the county constable out to inspect the property – the house inside and out , the entire property. He will also contact the homeowner and then, if necessary, the owner’s attorney. Mr. Hutt will also be consulted on the appropriate actions to be taken.
Architectural Review Committee (ARC): Jim Anderson & Ed Wulkan, Co- Chairs. Jim Anderson reported that they had about 6 requests since beginning of the year. All have been approved except one that is waiting for the plan to be approved.
Paul asked if all are getting building permits for the work. That depends on what they are doing. If the property is modified in any way (veranda enclosed), then a building permit is necessary.
Documents Committee: Elizabeth Wulkan, Chairperson, reported
the committee has not met this year. The
Documents revised last year are still with Mr. Hutt. Once he has reviewed them and made recommendations,
they will come back to the Board.
Finance Committee: Sherry Minear, Chairperson, No further report at this time.
Flag Committee: Ed Edison, Chairperson. Ed is not present. Chris reported that a new flag is flying.
Landscaping Committee: Pat Torelli, Chairperson. Pat reported that there the
committee will meet on Monday and do a walk-around to look at all the condos – to review, take notes and make decisions on what should be replaced, upgraded, etc., etc. The SFH have been reviewed, but the committee has nothing to do with the SFH.
Chris Nichols reports biggest complaints comes from bldgs 19, 20, and 21.
Sal Somma complimented the Landscaping Committee on the new rose plants installed around the flag. They look beautiful. He also questioned Chris on the replacement of the two trees on Plantations Blvd by Drayton Hall Road. These are in the plans for the future.
Nominating Committee: Ken & Nancy Brooks, Co-Chairs. Ken and Nancy are not present today. There is nothing new to report at this time, but shortly they will be handling the up-coming election at the Annual Meeting.
Owners Forum: Sue Spencer, Chairperson. There is nothing new to report at this time. There is a May 21st meeting. Ken Brooks will be joining the committee as the recorder of notes. He will communicate all concerns to Chris Nichols.
Security Committee / Gates: There is no Chairperson at this time. There is nothing new to report. No electrical problems.
Wastewater Committee: Bob Dickey, Chairperson. Bob was not present today, but prepared a written report for Chris Nichols to read. In summary – all owners (The Plantations and Plantations East) will be polled. The consensus of that vote will go into the discussion with the PSC hearing. There is still the question of the Sharp Propane Tank and the revenue received from that tank. It remains to be seen if 100% of the receipts received from the propane tank will be counted as profits and included in the calculations for the rate increase. The committee is working to obtain a settlement acceptable to all owners.
Website: Elizabeth Wulkan, Chairperson. Elizabeth reported there is much new information on the website. She also spoke about the new site – NEXTDOOR, which has been very favorably received by many, many Plantations owners. Everyone is encouraged to join.
Owners’ Input; (15 minutes)
No one has signed up.
Adjourn: The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 AM.