The Plantations Owners and Condominium Associations
Board Meeting – July 18, 2014
The Plantations Clubhouse – 7:00 PM
The Plantations Owners Board: Board Members – Elizabeth Wulkan / President, Bob Dickey / Vice President, Sherry Minear / Treasurer, Sal Somma / Secretary, Jim Anderson / Director.
The Plantations Condo Council: Council Members – Elizabeth Wulkan / President, Jim Anderson / Vice-President, Sherry Minear / Treasurer, Sal Somma / Secretary, Bob Dickey / Director.
Owners’ Forum (15 minutes):
Bill Deist spoke about youngsters from the Tennis Training Camp using the parking lot twice this past week. In addition, the tennis facility has also been using the dumpsters. We have overlooked the fact that Weight Watchers uses the parking lot every week. Chris Nichols stated he has spoken to people at the facility and some of their trainers were not aware that the parking lot was not their facility.
Pat Torelli was also going to ask about the parking lot and dumpsters and then asked about the nomination of individuals for the board and the descriptions of the positions. Elizabeth Wulkan said this info will be disseminated to all owners when the new owners’ list is available.
Camilla Los asked about recycling. She said that many individuals do not know they should not be putting plastic bags into the recycling bins. She volunteered to be of service to assist with recycling efforts. Elizabeth Wulkan asked Camilla to write up some directions about the recycling.
David Labrecque said that the SFH owners were told that everything recycled should be put into a plastic bag. The SFH and the recycling bin are handled by two different vendors
Ted Bishop asked about the gray wooden posts around the community. Many are in bad shape and need to be replaced. Chris said they are repainted each year and replaced as necessary – 4 or 5 go down every week. Chris will go around the community and take an inventory of them. Ted said the landscaping looks so nice; these damaged posts detract from the look.
Elizabeth Wulkan asked about the speed bumps, speed humps which were discussed quite a while ago. Chris will obtain updated information.
Elizabeth Wulkan called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
The Minutes of the May 16, 2014 Board/Council Meeting were reviewed. Sherry Minear made a motion to accept the minutes as presented. Bob Dickey seconded the motion. All Board and Council members approved.
Sherry Minear, Treasurer, reported:
Checking and Savings Balances
MT&T Checking: 12,568.99
MT&T Savings: 47,351.91
TOTAL $ 59,920.90
Budget vs Actuals – we are in July, ˝ through the year. We are coming through nicely - expenses looking good, as we are watching some lines: insurance, which saw a big spike; landscaping is over budget - but most of this work is done in summer and will soon be done; maintenance is under now, but money will be spend; snow removal is over. Overall we are in very good shape.
Delinquent Account Report – Appropriate items have been addressed by our attorney. We went from 5 to 2 significant delinquents.
Sal Somma made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report for the Owners’ Association. Jim Anderson seconded the motion. All Board members approved.
Checking and Savings Balances
MT&T Checking: 25,129.11
MT&T Savings: 84,651.45
TOTAL $ 109,780.56
Budget vs Actuals – again we are about ˝ through the year and have received ˝ the revenue and spent ˝ expenses. Again insurance will be over; landscaping is fine, as we back off that expense going into the fall; the summer painting and repairs are all OK. Again, overall we are in very good shape.
Delinquent Account Report – we are owed about $51,220. Most of this money owed is from the Federal bankruptcy.
Sal Somma made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report on the Condo Association. Bob Dickey seconded the motion. All Council members approved.
Property Managers’ Report: (Chris Nichols)
Projects – Owners:
- Dumpster Enclosure – the vendor has been involved in a major project, which is now complete. He will start building this during the first week in August.
- Gatehouse Painting - the Gatehouse has been painted & the deck around it has been stained.
- Painting of Mailbox – the Post Office has no money to do this, so we have sanded it and will be painting it. The Post Office will then apply the stickers.
- Pond Trimming – the ponds to need to be trimmed and Envirotech will be here next week to take care of it. Usually, this is done only once a year.
Projects - Condo:
- Step Replacement at Bldg 1 is being done. Bldg 7 was finished.
- Painting - Bldgs 3, 11, 18 & 25. All have been done, except bldg. 25. At bldg. 11, we had a hefty issue (3 sides were resided, except the chimneys. So, work is now being done on the chimneys.
- Mailbox Replacements – Bldgs 6, 7, 8 & 11. Others do need replacements, but will have to wait.
- Seal Coating and Crack Filling – Bldgs 2, 9, 10 & 12 – all completed. Stripes were added to the parking lots for bldgs 10 & 12.
- Trimming – has been done around all the buildings. This year Chris Nichols only received one issue and the landscaper, Scott & Son, returned and took care of it.
- Staining of Steps – Bldgs 3 & 5. These steps were previously rebuilt. Owners in each bldg. are reminded to remove their shoes before entering their units. There is a residue from the stain that lasts for about 2 or 3 days.
- Gutter Repairs – some flex guards will be added to some of the gutters where issues were reported. These will be observed for their effectiveness on a trial basis.
- Trees Trimmed away from Buildings – trees have been trimmed away from the buildings. This trimming is not final, as the arborist will be evaluating further trimming.
There was a question about how repairs to the buildings are made. Chris Nichols explained the annual building review and the policy of prioritizing the repairs based on incidences and safety.
Sherry Minear made a motion to accept the Property Manager’s Report. Bob Dickey seconded the motion. All Board and Council members approved.
- Fitness Center use of Parking Lot (Gates and Classes) – Chris Nichols reviewed the bid received for placing a gate at the Parking Lot. There was a discussion of the bid and how it would be paid for. Technically the Parking Lot is owned by the Condo Association. Chris Nichols suggested there be an agreement that the Condo Association have a usage agreement with the Owners’ Association to place their dumpsters on the property. Therefore, in lieu of a rent, there be an agreement to share the cost of the gates. He will speak to our attorney to get the framework of this agreement worked out.
Elizabeth Wulkan requested everyone to brainstorm this issue – are there other ways to control the parking area? Chris Nichols will speak to traffic engineers regarding other alternatives and obtain two additional bids. Elizabeth asked that a letter be written to The Plantations East and to Dr. Dave Marshall (Tennis Facility) regarding the use of the dumpsters.
Elizabeth Wulkan made a motion to approve these actions. Bob Dickey seconded the motion. All Board and Council members approved.
- Grass Area Adjacent to Parking Lot – the present work on the lot was temporary - just to hold soil in place. The next step is to add soil and initial seeding. This would be funded by both associations, as a shared expense. The following phrase will then be to add irrigation pipes to water the area. At that point we can just let the seed grow or add additional seed or sod to the area. A bid from Scott & Son for the next step (adding soil and initial seeding) was reviewed. Elizabeth made a motion to accept the bid from Scott & Son. Jim Anderson seconded the motion. All Board and Council members approved.
- Nomination Letter – the letter was modified for this year. Chris Nichols will verify the exact seats open for election this year. Interested individuals need to submit a statement indicating which association (Condo Council or Owners’ Board) they want to run for and submit a brief statement on their background. Bob Dickey made a motion that nominations be open for the period of August 1st through August 31st. Jim Anderson seconded the motion. All Board and Council members approved.
- Financial Review - Mr. Neilson agreed to do both reviews at the same rate he has been charging for the past nine years. Bob Dickey made a motion for Mr. Neilson to conduct the Condo review. Elizabeth Wulkan seconded the motion. All Council members approved.
Bob Dickey made a motion for Mr. Neilson to conduct the Owners’ review. Jim Anderson seconded the motion. All Board members approved.
Architectural Review Committee (ARC): Ed Wulkan, Chairperson, not present. Jim Anderson reported – condo owners should not make any exterior changes to their condos until they have received approval from the committee. Remember that you may also have to go to the county for permits regarding various changes. Individuals should not be painting their railings. This is a community and everyone should not be doing their own thing – there needs to be uniformity in appearance.
Documents Committee: Elizabeth Wulkan, Chairperson, reported no changes have been made. Work is being done on the Finance Committee document. When this one is completed, each committee will then have a set of responsibilities.
Finance Committee: Sherry Minear, Chairperson, reported there is no further information at this time.
Flag Committee: Tom Terrel, Chairperson, is not present. Chris Nichols reported the flag is up the top is starting to wear.
Landscaping Committee: ________, Chairperson. It was reported that everything is going well.
Nominating Committee: Ken & Nancy Brooks, Co-Chairs. Pertinent information has already been addressed.
Security Committee / Gates: – , Chairperson. We are secure. The parking lot gates were discussed. There were two car break-ins on Belle grove – one was unlocked, the other one we are not sure of. Chris Nichols reported this has also happened in Plantations East. Elizabeth Wulkan will make a note on this in NEXTDOOR – Everyone should lock their cars. If someone sees something at night – CALL THE POLICE.
Wastewater Committee: - Bob Dickey, Chairperson, reported that Tidewater is moving ahead - some work has been done and they will complete their proposed work within the next two months. This will be close to all they proposed to get done in order to apply for the rate increase.
Website: Elizabeth Wulkan. Since Elizabeth will be leaving in September we need a Website Coordinator to work with the site Webmaster. We do not need a re-design, just a coordinator, a communicator. If anyone has ideas of what should be on the website, they should let Elizabeth know.
Owners’ Input; (15 minutes)
No one signed up
The meeting was adjourned at 8:24 pm.